As we age, it’s important to make sure that we take necessary precautions and steps to ensure our safety and happiness as seniors.
There are many adjustments that will need to be made in the home—why not start now? Follow these helpful health tips for seniors to maintaining a happy and healthy lifestyle.
- Learn to read nutrition labels. This tip is applicable to people at any age. What we eat and put into our bodies can reflect how we feel. Replace processed and junk foods high in sugar and sodium with healthier alternatives to see an improvement in mood, alertness, and physical improvements.
- Ask about home care. Begin your research for a home health aide (HHA) to enhance the quality of your life. A HHA is a great companion who will assist you with daily tasks such as laundry, changing bed linens, taking you to your hair appointment, and much more. There are a lot of perks to having this home care service!
- Reduce fall risk areas in your home. Work on improving your flexibility with stretches and go through your home to remove potential fall risk areas. For example, remove or replace your fringed rugs.
- Participate in social events. Going to the movies, attending family dinners, or learning how to play a new instrument are excellent ways to stay mentally stimulated and happy. Find something that you have always wanted to learn or do—it’s never too late to try a new hobby!
- Incorporate daily exercise into your routine. Walking around your neighborhood, going to the park, or taking yoga are great ways to stay active. Try something new, fun, and manageable for you.
Before you begin a new activity that may require frequent exercise, be sure to check with your doctor or physician for recommendations on your limitations.