As a caregiver, you’ll often hear people say that it takes a “certain type” of person to work in the home care industry. They’re right! It takes caring individuals with a passion for helping people.
As a caregiver, people will depend on you to be there in their time of need and we’re not going to lie—you may end up in a difficult situation where you need to make important choices. The good thing is at Preferred Home Care of New York, we make sure that you will be trained, certified, and prepared for those type of situations.
Caregivers are responsible for providing the elderly with companionship and daily tasks such as light housekeeping, running errands, and may require some physical activity and movement. You’ll be spending much of your time with the patient in wherever they call home and you may develop a long-lasting relationship. In fact, many of our caregivers are considered family by clients because they become such an important part of their daily life.
At Preferred Home Care of New York, we look for people who we would want caring for our own parents. If this sounds like something you would enjoy and are interested in learning how to become a caregiver in NYC, we recommend you follow the steps below to get started:
- Apply to home health aide careers. We’re always looking for people with a passion for helping people. Bilingual and multilingual individuals are encouraged to apply!
- Send your resume. No formal training is required, however be sure to include any experience or applicable skills that you could apply to home care.
- Brush up your interview skills. Dress professionally and be prepared to fill out forms and answer some questions. Most importantly, be yourself! Your personality is an important factor that we look for in our caregivers.
- Bring paper and pen. Be ready to train after your interview. Preferred Home Care of New York is a home health aide training school that would teach and give you the necessary certifications to become a caregiver.
- Begin your work schedule. You are ready to start your career as a caregiver! Let us know your availability and/or preferences and we will work to get you matched with the right patient. If you’re new to the NYC area, we suggest having a GPS in addition to the written directions on how to get to your patient’s home.
We look forward to hearing from you and excited to get you started with your new career! Be sure to browse our other NYC job listings for other administrative opportunities at our office!